Photo Search

Have you uploaded photos and videos to FotoTime and want them to appear here in the public gallery? Click here to learn more.

Join Now

Want to share your own photos and videos here? Register for your free account now!
 

About Steve Ellwood

My Photoshttp://GeordiePhotographs.fototime.com
LocationUnited Kingdom

Steve Ellwood's Albums

3 - 4 Claremont Terrace
These are the former offices of the Brewers and Wine Merchants, W.B. Reid & Co Ltd , now occupied by Newcastle University.

Ghost sign of Reid's above an entrance.

Photographed 24th October 2018.

3 College Street - Newcastle Racquet Courts
Designed by Hubert Laws and opened in 1888. Built for members of the Union Club on Westgate Road. Rackets (or racquets) was a cross between real tennis and squash. An earlier uncovered court measuring 112 feet x 62 feet had been built in Newgate Street in 1823. The College Street court conformed to the new standard 60 feet x 30 feet, established by the Prince's Club in London in 1853. The balls were made of compressed cloth covered in white sheepskin. The court is a plain unadorned brick building. It has a viewing gallery on the fourth side, accessed by an ornate spiral staircase. The Newcastle court is only one of two surviving in the north. The other is the Manchester Tennis and Racquet Club, dating from 1880. Squash has since become more popular and the College Street court has also been used for badminton, judo and a creche. It has lain empty since 2010
8-14 Claremont Street
Unique in Newcastle, these residential properties at 8-14 Claremont Street are unlisted but worthy of note non the less.
Ground floor of rusticated ashlar with balconies above overlooked by false mansards supported by cast iron posts.
Photographs taken 24th October 2018:

800th anniversary of the Mayoralty and the 800th anniversary of the burgesses of the City Freemen
The Freemen of Newcastle have kindly funded banners, to raise awareness of the 800th anniversary of the Mayoralty and the 800th anniversary of the burgesses of the City (Freemen), and these have been installed in the City Centre.

The banners depict the 800th City Crest and also the individual company crests of the Freemen.

2016 marks the creation of Newcastle’s Mayoralty and of Newcastle’s Burgesses (Freemen). King John, by Charter, granted Newcastle to the Freemen at an annual payment of Ł100 which appeared until quite recently in the City's annual accounts.

The 1216 Royal Charter allowed the merchants to elect their own mayor and to control trade on the River Tyne. This Charter and its successors were repeatedly confirmed by successive Sovereigns. This is a historic landmark for two of the oldest surviving institutions in the City.
A&P Yard - Hebburn
Some shots of vessels in the former Palmers Yard ar Hebburn - now A&P.
Acklington
This is St John the Devine in the Northumbrian village of Acklington. The Church was consecrated in 1861 and designed by James Eason (1860). Acklington is a very small rural village and is more famed for its World War 2 Airfield and the present day Young Offenders Prison.
Ad Gefrin
This monument on the north side of the Wooler to Kirknewton road (B6351) stands this testimonial to the site of Ad Gefrin the royal residence of early Anglo-Saxon kings.

Check out these links for further information:
http://www.gefrin.com/gefrin/gefrin.html
http://gefrintrust.org/
Alderman Fenwicks House
The building dates from the 17th Century and its structure is quite complex having included parts of adjoining properties and also extensions which over the years have been demolished.

Probably safe to say that this is the oldest brick built house in the City Centre.

Built as a home for Fenwick who was a Merchant it went on to become part of the Queens Head Hotel then the Newcastle Liberal Club. Unfortunately it was then left to decline for a number of years and was threatened by its then owners with demolition. However Newcastle City Council stepped in and purchased the building in 1980 and leased it to the Tyne and Wear Buildings Preservation Trust who carried out the restoration. The restoration was completed in 1997 and the building is now used as offices.

A Grade 1 Listed.

Not open to the public but often takes part in the Heritage Open Days Weekend.
All Saints Cemetery
This Cemetery stands on Jesmond Road, opposite Jesmond Old Cemetery.

This Cemetery is not connected with All Sants Church and is owned and operated by Newcastle City Council.

Opened in 1857 and designed by Newcastle Architect Benjamin Green.

Interesting point from Alan Morgan’s book “Beyond the Grave – Exploring Newcastle’s Burial Grounds” – When Carliol Square Gaol closed in 1924 the bodies of executed prisoners (previously buried within the confines of the Gaol) were reinterred in All Saints Cemetery in an unmarked mass grave.
All Saints Church
This album contains photographs of one of Newcastle's oldest former Parish Church, All Saints.

The present Church dates from 1786 and was designed by David Stephenson. This pre-dates an earlier Church (All Hallows) which had been allowed to become derelict.

Claims have been made that the site of the Church housed a Roman Temple.

The Church is presently used by the Anglican Old Church and is known as Saint Willibrord with All Saints. The Church has its own web site at:
http://tinyurl.com/ivrk

See the sub album for photographs from my climb up the Spire of All Saints
All Saints Church Rennington
A parochial chapelry built in 1831 on the site of a 12th century Norman chapel.

The present church was paid for by Hugh Percy, 3rd Duke of Northumberland at the cost of Ł700.

The font in the current church is thought to be from the original building and may date from the 14th century, although I see that Pesvner claims it came from Embleton Church.

Since its opening in 1831 the building has undergone further changes including the enlargement of the churchyard in 1890 which was perhaps a strange decison given that it closed to burials in 1892. A graveyard was however opened adjacent to the churchyard in 1949.

Photographed 12th November 2017.

Allendale
The Northumberland Market Town of Allendale.
Alnmouth
Northumberland coastal village of Alnmouth.
Alnwick
Some say the capital of Northumbria.
Alston
Not quite the North East of England - located in Cumbria on the border with Northumberland.
Amble
Northumbrian fishing port of Amble.
Amsterdam
Various photographs taken in Amsterdam
Andy Treadwells' - John Cleave's Building Mural
The launch of Andy Treadwells' Mural on the frontahe of John Cleave'sw building on Union Road, Blyth, 18th August 2013.

Based on views of Blyth.
Angel of the North
Situated within the Borough of Gateshead, The Angel of the North is a major attraction to visitors - about 150,000 a year stop to see the awe-inspiring sculpture close up. The scale cannot fail to impress them, at 20 metres (65 feet) it is more than the height of four double decker buses. Its wings will be 54 metres (175 feet) wide - almost as long as the wings of a Jumbo jet The Angel also has a warm, appealing colour. It is of a special weather resistant steel which contains copper. The surface oxidises to form a patina which mellows with age to a rich red brown colour.
Antler Newcastle Alpine Bar and Kitchen
Newly opened Bar and Restaurant opened beneath 55 Degrees North.
Arthurs Hill Area
This part of Newcastle Upon Tyne is more or less a square area bordered by Diana Street to the South, Barrack Road to the East, The General Hospital to the North and Westgate Road to the West..
Ashington
Starting off with a couple of photographs of dusk at the Queen Elizabeth 2 Park
Backworth and Shiremoor
Bainbridge Poster
A 19th Century Advert for the Newcastle Upi Tyne Store of Bainbridge & Co
Ballast Hills Graveyard
The Ballast Hills Graveyard was used to bury non-conformists with the earliest burial taking place in the Plague year of 1609. As the name suggests the graves were dug in what was a Ballast Hill - the Ballast coming from ships on the nearby Tyne. The graveyard was formalised in 1785 with a wall being built and charges being made for burials. The last burial was in 1853. Should you require any further information or details of individuals headstones, please contact me by e-mail.
Bamburgh
The Olde english for 'Bebbes Fortified Place' - Bebbe was the Queen of Aethlefrith, 7th century King of Northumbria (From Abberwick to Yetlington by Ian Robinson). A lovely North Northumberland Village with imposing Castle, Church and home to Grace Darling amongst other things.
Bank of England Demolition
This is the former Bank of England building that sits overlooking Swan House Roundabout and which had entrances on Pilgrim Street and Carliol Square.

Built between 1968 and 1971 to a design by Architects Fitzroy, Robinson and Partners.

The demolition of the building down to ground (Pilgrim Street) level began in April 2012, the levels including the vaults will be left in situ for the moment.
Bardon Mill Pottery
The largest building in the village is the Errington Reay & Co. Ltd pottery which is the only licensed producer of salt glazed pottery in the United Kingdom.

Originally built in 1760 as a water powered woollen mill. A fire in 1876 caused a change in business when the woollen mill machinery was destroyed. The mill was then converted into a pottery by Robert Errington and William Reay for the manufacture of salt glazed sanitary ware.

Today the pottery still practices the traditional way of manufacture such as hand thrown clay and products dried in coal fired down draught kilns. The production of salt glazed clay involves the kiln being heated to 1,260 degrees centigrade, salt is thrown into the kiln which vaporises and reacts with the silica in the clay resulting in the salt glaze. The process takes two days to complete.

These photographs taken 17th July 2014:

Barras Bridge
Bath Lane
Bath Lane runs from the end of Wellington Street down to the junction with Westgate Road and Thornton Street.

To the eastern side of Bath Lane lie a good section of the City Walls and also Newcastle’s China Town (Stowell Street).

So why is it called Bath Lane, it is named after the public baths that were built there in 1781 by Dr Hall and Messrs H Gibson and R B Abbs (Surgeon), the baths being located towards the southern end of Bath Lane. The baths were privately owned and featured a large swimming pool as well as a Buxton vapour bath. R J Charleton describes the baths in 1800 as consisting of medicated vapour baths, hot, tepid or of Buxton temperature, together with enclosed baths for ladies and gentlemen, also a large open or swimming baths, where the young gentlemen acquire this necessary art, free from the dangers of those fatal accidents which too frequently happen in large rivers or deep ponds.

Bath Lane is also famous for it being the one time home of Rutherford College and a foundation stone from that building sits forlornly on the roadside marking the spot where the building once stood.

Also of note is the former Fever Hospital (Recovery House) which was opened in 1804 and is now the home to NEMLAC. The Fever Hospital was strategically positioned outside of the City Walls and treated contagious diseases such as small pox, typhoid etc. It closed in 1888.
Beamish Museum
A visit to Beamish Museum - 18th May 2014
Bedlington
Bellasis Bridge
Bellasis Bridge - Near Horton Grange In 1239, Roger de Merley gave the Abbey the bridge of Horton over the River Blyth and free passage, portage and carriage over his land for the transport of peat and farm produce from Horton Grange to Morpeth. This is the bridge now known as the Bellasis Bridge. It can be found on the road which runs from Horton Grange to Tranwell. Special thanks to Dan Ellis for the black and white photograph - taken by him as a 12 year old in December 1955.
Bellingham
Bellingham is a village in Northumberland, to the north-west of Newcastle upon Tyne and is situated on the Hareshaw burn at its confluence with the River North Tyne.
Bellister Castle
To the north of Featherstone is the Grade I Listed Bellister Castle, located on the eastern side of the River South Tyne. Bellister takes its name from the Norman French bel-estre, ‘fine place’. Unfortunately the castle is not open to the public but it can be viewed from the nearby road, Bellister Bank.

The castle is actually a ruined tower house (pele) dating from the 13th century, with an additional house attached in the 17th century, it is a Scheduled Ancient Monument. There is some contention as to whether the mound on which the castle stands is natural or part of an earlier motte and bailey castle. There is a claim that the stone for the construction of the tower may have been taken from Hadrian’s Wall.

The attached three story seven bedroomed house has a date stone showing 1669 and the building was much remodelled by Newcastle architect John Dobson in 1826 and 1890. The castle is under the custodianship of the National Trust and the house is leased as a private residence.

The castle does of course have a ghost tale, allegedly haunted by the Grey Man who was a travelling minstrel. It appears that the then owner of the castle, Lord Blenkinsopp, unjustly accused the man of being a Scottish spy and had his servant set their dogs against him. The minstrel was torn to shreds by the dogs and now haunts the place of his death.

One other myth concerns an old sycamore tree which stands in the grounds of the castle. It is known as the ‘hanging tree’ and the tale is that it was used by Cavaliers to execute captured Roundheads during the Civil War.
Bells Court
Bells Court used to run off Pilgrim Street and ran down to Carliol Square. These images taken 26th December 2004.
Benton Square Mission
These photographs of the 1904 rebuilt Benton Mission Chapel taken 19th March 2017.
Benwell
This is Benwell, a suburb of Newcastle Upon Tyne, lying to the West of the City.
Berwick
Lying on the English side of the Anglo Scottish Border.
Bessie Surtees House
This series of photographs (Digital) of Bessie Surtees House on Newcastle's Quayside were taken, 16th September 2000 as part of the Heritage Open Day Scheme. Newcastle Upon Tyne.
Bewick Court
This is the elevated area above John Dobson Street.
Bewick Street
Named after the Artist,Wood Engraver and Naturalist THOMAS BEWICK (1753-1828) who lived nearby between 1781 and 1812.
Bigg Market
The World Famous Bigg Market area of Newcastle Upon Tyne. Renowned for its lively bars short skirted lasses and lads in shirt sleeves..
Billy Mill Roundabout - Coast Road
Photographs of the changes to Billy Mill Roundabout, North Shields.
Black and White Day
This set of photographs were taken by my mate Bernie Lonnberg - they show the celebration of Black and White Day in Newcastle on 12th May 2006. This being to honour the retirement of Alan Shearer - top scorer at Newcastle United FC
Black Gate Visit - 23rd February 2013
A tour of the Black Gate by Kate Sussams , Project Manager of the Old Newcastle Project on 23rd February 2013.
Blackett Street
One of the Newcastle Upon Tyne 'ancient' streets, originally being a lane running westwards from Pilgrim Street.

It was not until improvements took place in 1824 that the street became a major thoroughfare with elegant new houses replacing gardens and middens.

The street was named after John Erasmus Blackett (1728 - 1814)who was Mayor of Newcastle on four occasions in the 18th Century.
There you have it - Blackett Street.
Blackfriars
Some of Newcastle Upon Tyne's oldest set of buildings dating from before 1240.

Originally a monastery and then used for housing and a meeting place for the City's Guilds. Well restored and well worth a visit.
Blanchland
Blanchland is a village in Northumberland, England, on the County Durham boundary.
Blandford Square
Blandford Square - Workshop Demolition
Whilst not 'historically important' the fact that a gap will shortly open up right next to Blandford House is worthy of mention and 'recording'.

Not a series of buildings that would immediately spring to mind, but there are workshops and offices to the immediate North of the Discovery Museum, red bricked, and previously used as premises for carpenters, French polishers, a saw mill, smithy and stables, owned by the Co-op and built between 1912 and 1930. A second level to the offices next to the Museum appears to have been built post World War 2.

The Co-op want to sell the land as a development and have Carter Towler touting the plot - http://www.cartertowler.co.uk/propertylisting.php
Blaydon
Blaydon on Tyne stands on the South side of the Tyne, opposite Newcastle Upon Tyne..
Blaydon Bridge
This road bridge carries the A1 from North to South of the River Tyne at Blaydon and Scotswood.
Blaydon Road Bridge
Designed by Bullen and Partners with building work by Edmund Nuttall, Blaydon Road Bridge was built between 1987 and 1990, now carrying the A1. It was opened to traffic on 3rd December 1990, the Queen having officially unveiled a plaque on the bridge, 1st December 1990.

The cost of buildings the bridge was Ł17 millions.

Dimensions are:
Total length 332 m
Width 14.6 m
Longest span 108 m
Blenheim Street
Various views of this area of Newcastle Upon Tyne, including the Tyne & Wear Science Museum. The museum is situated in Blandford Square and is well worth a visit. It's FREE to get in and contains a lot of exhibits arsing from the Tyneside area including the ship Turbinia. Blenheim Street is named after the Duke of Marlborough's victory over the Fench in 1704..
Blue Carpet
This piece of modern art can be found outside of The Laing Art Gallery in Newbridge Street. Thomas Heatherwick Studio is the team behind the innovative Blue Carpet design for Newcastle city centre; the first new public space in the city this century. Thomas Heatherwick Studio's design was the winning entry in a public competition launched by Newcastle City Council in July 1996 in partnership with local business, Northern Arts and Tyne and wear Museums. The scheme received its funding from the Arts Lottery Fund and the European Regional Development.
Blyth
Various photographs of Blyth including some of the visit by HMS Blyth in April 2002
Blyth Cemetery
This is the Council operated cemetery on the road between Blyth and Seaton Sluice.
Blyth Offshore Demonstrator Wind farm
Various photographs of the Wind Farm installed September - October 2017.
Blyth Tall Ships Regatta 2016
Various photographs taken at the event.
Bolam - St Andrews Church
It is interesting to note that a Medieval Village once stood next to St Andrews Church, it is now long gone, leaving the Church to stand on its own. The Church features a Saxon Tower, dating from 960 A.D. with much of the building added and remodelled over the years including much building work in the Norman period (12th Century). The Churchyard holds many graves dating from the 17th Century and includes such notables as the Middleton Family from nearby Belsay Hall and a grave dedicated to the owners of Shortflatt Tower.
Bolland Memorial - Bullen Memorial, St Mary the Virgin, Morpeth
This is the memorial to the Reverend John Bolland, a curate of the parish who died in Jerusalem in 1857 and is buried on Mount Sion. Photographed 10th September 2015 during my Heritage Open Days 2015 visit.

Not quite sure why the memorial is also known as the Bullen Memorial?

Grade II Listed, this is the protection text courtesy of the British Listed Buildings web site @ http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co...-#.VfaG6_SAm35

Description: Bullen Memorial 100 Yards North West of Church of St Mary

Grade: II
Date Listed: 22 August 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 238724

OS Grid Reference: NZ1962685127
OS Grid Coordinates: 419626, 585127
Latitude/Longitude: 55.1601, -1.6935

Location: 34 St Marys Field, Morpeth, Northumberland NE61 2QX

Locality: Morpeth
County: Northumberland
Country: England
Postcode: NE61 2QX

MORPETH HIGH CHURCH
NZ 1985
24/236
Bullen Memorial
approx 100 yards north west of Church of St. Mary

II

Churchyard memorial. c.1860 (records death in Jerusalem in 1857), to Rev. John Bullen. Sandstone. Gothic style. Large pinnacle c.33 ft. high with base of 4 square steps. 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes, the upper tier elaborately crocketed and with angels at the foot of each gable. Foliated-cross finial. Copper plate with inscription.

Listing NGR: NZ1962885126
Bolton Chapel
This is the chapel of ease to St Johnthe Baptist Edlingham (previously covered at http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=132325190&postcount=910 ) located in the hamlet of Bolton, Northumberland and these photographs were taken on 16th April 2003.

A church has been on this site since Saxon times and the first recorded history is from 1175 when ownership was transferred, along with that of Edlingham Church, from St Albans Abbey to Durham Priory.

It is thought that parts of the chapel date from the time when it was a leper hospital. Robert de Ros, Baron of Wark-on-Tweed, and his wife Isabella, who was the daughter of King William I, founded the leper hospital at Bolton which was dedicated to St Thomas the Martyr in In 1225. Following the Reformation in 1547.the hospital was dissolved but the chapel survived.

One famous visitor was the Earl of Surrey (Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk) who in September 1513 celebrated holy communion in the chapel two days before the Battle Of Flodden. See my previous mention of the Earl of Surrey @ http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=133217632&postcount=1374

Grade II Listed this is the protection text courtesy of the British Listed Buildings web site @ http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-236566-bolton-chapel-hedgeley-#.V1LbRL6um34

Description: Bolton Chapel
Grade: II
Date Listed: 31 December 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 236566

OS Grid Reference: NU1063513675
OS Grid Coordinates: 410635, 613675
Latitude/Longitude: 55.4169, -1.8335

Location: Hedgeley, Northumberland NE66 2EE

Locality: Hedgeley
County: Northumberland
Country: England
Postcode: NE66 2EE
HEDGELEY BOLTON NU 11 SW
9/221 formerly listed as Bolton Chapel 21.12.69 Church, dedication unknown

II

Chapel-of-ease, Anglican. Chancel arch C12, chancel walls probably medieval, nave and north transept early C19", south porch and vestry c.1868.

Chancel coursed rubble with later ashlar dressings; C19 parts tooled stone with ashlar dressings, except for rock-faced porch; Welsh slate roofs, with 3 bands of green fishscale slates on South slde of chancel.

Aisleless 4-bay nave with south porch and north transept, small chancel with north vestry Romanesque style. Nave has 4 round-arched single-light windows in double-chamfered surrounds on south, 2 similar windows on-north, and a wider round-arched west window; small arched bellcote o west gable. South porch has studded double doors under trefoil arch, and cross finial; inside porch panelled double doors with metal-latticed fanlight, under double-chamfered arch on moulded imposts. North transept has triplet of round-headed lights to north. Similar stepped triplet with circular light above in east end of chancel; single-light window on south to east of earlier blocked window. Ring cross finial on east gable.

Interior: Plastered. Semicircular chancel arch, stepped towards nave, on worn imposts carried back as band along east wall of nave. Early C19 3-bay screen of moulded arches on slender round piers wit scalloped caps, to north transept. Collar-beam roof trusses with upper king posts, those to transept and chancel with arch braces on moulded corbels, the latter with pierced infill and wallplate. Boarding between rafters painted blue spangled with gold stars.

Small font with round shaft and moulded bowl dated '1732' in north transept; elaborate C19 Romanesque font in nave. Wrought-iron altar rails and Minton tiles in sanctuary. Coat of arms o Martha Burrill, d.1700, on south of chancel; similar painted coat of arms on north of nave. Severa C18 and C19 wall tablets, including monument to Forster family (1790-1809), with draped urn signed by R. Blore, and 1864 tablet to Lewis de Crespigny Buckle, who perished at sea on the S.S. Nemesis.

Listing NGR: NU1063513675

Bonga
Newcastle, United Kingdom (16 November 2002) – Following a 13,000 nautical mile journey from South Korea, the massive 300,000 tonne Bonga hull has arrived safely at AMEC’s Wallsend facility on Tyneside. The company will now spend the next 10 months project managing the programme to turn the hull into one of the largest and most complex floating oil and gas production facilities ever built. The vessel will begin working for Shell of the West African coast in early 2004.
Bothal
A lovely village, no more than a single row of estate cottages which sit close to the River Wansbeck. The Church of St Andrews dates from the 13th Century and contains the graves of the Ogle Family whose Family Seat was at the nearby Bothal Castle.
Bothal Castle
Photographs of Bothal Castle taken on 10th September 2015, unfortunately the Castle's Gatehouse is a private residence of the Cavendish-Bentinck family and not open to the public.

Grade i Listed, this is the protection text courtesy of the British Listed Buildings web site @ http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-235949-bothal-castle-gatehouse-and-adjacent-win#.Vfae_fSAm34

Description: Bothal Castle Gatehouse and Adjacent Wing to West

Grade: I
Date Listed: 14 April 1949
English Heritage Building ID: 235949

OS Grid Reference: NZ2398586520
OS Grid Coordinates: 423985, 586520
Latitude/Longitude: 55.1724, -1.6250

Location: Bothal Bank, Wansbeck, Northumberland NE61 6SL

Locality: Ashington
County: Northumberland
Country: England
Postcode: NE61 6SL

BOTHAL BOTHAL VILLAGE
NZ 2386 (West side)

7/79 Bothal Castle: Gatehouse and adjacent wing to west 14/4/49
I

Castle gatehouse, probably c.1343 when Robert Bertram obtained licence to crenellate, restored from ruin 1830-31: adjacent wing c.1858, incorporating some medieval walling, extended and heightened 1909; C19 and early C20 work for Sample family, agents for Duke of Portland.

Squared stone with cut dressings; gatehouse roof leaded, Lakeland slates on wing. Gatehouse rectangular in plan, with semi-octagonal turrets flanking entrance on north, and rectangular south-west stair turret.

North elevation: Gatehouse 3 storeys, 3 bays and 2-bay right wing. Moulded pointed central arch with portcullis slot, 1st floor window of 2 trefoiled lights with quatrefoil in spandrel, 3-light square-headed window with transom above. Flanking turrets have 3-light windows, mostly C19, except for single- light loops to ground floor left. Crenellated parapet with gargoyles, important display of contemporary heraldry and 2 worn stone figures (of. Alnwick Castle). Inner return of each turret shows blocked shoulder-arched door, probably early C19. 2-bay wing to right has 3-light mullioned windows (those on 2nd floor blocked) and crenellated parapet. Left return of gatehouse shows original 2-light lst-floor window and 3-light transomed window above.

South elevation, to bailey: Gatehouse has double-chamfered arch; original 2-light window above with C15 transomed 2-light window with panel traceried head on right, brought from Cockle Park Tower in 1830-31 restoration. 3- and 4-light transomed windows to 2nd floor, the latter a late C19 insertion. Small loops to right and in taller projecting stair turret on left. Wing to left 4 storeys, 3 bays; projecting embattled porch with moulded arch, 2- 3- and 4-light mullioned windows, some transomed. 2-storey extension on far left projects beyond line of curtain wall.

Interior: Gate passage has pointed rib vault with 4 murder-holes. Blocked shouldered doorway in each wall, and 2 chamfered loops on west. Ground floor chambers have round-arched rib vaults. 1st floor chamber has segmental ribbed rear arches to original windows, some with window seats. Newel stair capped by ribbed umbrella vault; shoulder-arched doorways. Wing has open-well closed-string stair with turned balusters. 1st floor drawing room has C15 fireplace with embattled lintel, brought from Cockle Park, and oak panelling originally from East-Indiaman ship. One wall, and stair, have plasterwork in imitation of panelling.

Historial Note: The Bertrams were lords from the late C12 until 1406, when the estate passed to the Ogles. Sir John Ogle was besieged here by his elder brother Sir Robert, who took the castle but was later compelled to return it to Sir John.

Listing NGR: NZ2398586520
Branton and Glanton United Reformed Church
These photographs of Branton and Glanton United Reformed Church taken in Glanton Village on 27th December 2017.

Grade II Listed, this is the listing text courtesy of Th British Listed Buildings web site @ https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101371089-branton-and-glanton-united-reformed-church-glanton#.WkUK_TfLhtQ

Entry Name: Branton and Glanton United Reformed Church
Listing Date: 25 August 1987
Grade: II
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371089
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236557
Location: Glanton, Northumberland, NE66
County: Northumberland
Civil Parish: Glanton

GLANTON WEST TURNPIKE (South side) Glanton Village.
NU 0614
20/213

United Reformed Church, formerly Presbyterian. 1783; porch and stair projection 1912 by George Reavell of Alnwick.

C18 part squared stone with cut dressings. 1912 extension tooled squared stone with ashlar dressings.

Welsh slate roof with timber belfry under lead cap.
1783 building a simple rectangular preaching box.

North elevation, to street; 1912 extension in 2 sections. Tall plinth. Lower right part has half-glazed double doors in lugged architrave flanked by 2-light windows with projecting sills and blocks beneath; moulded cornice broken forward above door, and flat-coped parapet. Stair projection on left has broad rusticated angle pilasters and arched window in shouldered and lugged architrave with triple keystone; open-pedimented gable.

1783 church above and behind extension has slender raised pilasters at angles and 2 windows in raised stone surrounds, that to left blocked and partly hidden by stair projection. Coped gables on moulded kneelers; bellcote near left end of ridge has twin pointed- arched openings and swept pyramidal cap with weathervane. Returns each show angle pilasters linked by band at eaves level; keyed oculus (that on east with clock) and cruciform loop in each gable; east end also shows central gallery window in raised stone surround, above inserted window in tooled-and-margined alternating-block surround. South elevation 4 bays, symmetrical. Centre bays have tall arched windows in raised stone surrounds with imposts and keystones; end bays have similar but shorter windows to both ground floor and gallery levels; the lower ones originally doorways. All windows have 1912 leaded glazing.

Interior: Panelled east gallery (remodelled 1912 using old material) on 2 round columns with moulded caps and bases carrying fluted frieze and modillion cornice. Other woodwork all 1912; numbered pews with frames for pew-rent cards. Wall tablet as World War I memorial.

Listing NGR: NU0691214504

Brazil versus New Zealand - Olympics 2012
Photographs taken by my son Scott on 1st August 2012 at St James' Park - Brazil versus New Zealand in the 2012 Olympics.
Brinkburn Farmbuilding Range
Listing text courtesy of The British Listed Buildings web site @ https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101041900-farmbuilding-range-on-west-of-yard-at-brinkburn-lodge-brinkburn#.WvWhC5ch1tQ

Entry Name: Farmbuilding Range on West of Yard at Brinkburn Lodge
Listing Date: 15 September 1988
Grade: II
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041900
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236736
Location: Brinkburn, Northumberland, NE65
County: Northumberland
Civil Parish: Brinkburn

BRINKBURN B 6334 Farmbuilding range on west of yard at Brinkburn Lodge (South side)
NZ 19 NW
10/68

Cartshed, shelter sheds, granary and bothy. Early C19.

Squared stone with tooled-and-margined quoins and dressings; blue slate roof. 1 + 2 storeys, 6 irregular bays. Boarded double doors under tall segmental-arched cart entrance at left end; arcade of 3 similar but lower arches in centre, with 2 windows above and boarded opening with pigeon holes above right. Bothy at right end has boarded door with 5-pane overlight, 16-pane sash to left and 6-pane casement on 1st floor. Coped gables; banded ridge stack, rendered, to bothy. Right return shows O.S.B.M. Rear elevation shows boarded door to cart shed; 2 windows to granary; 8-pane sash with external iron bars and 1st floor 6-pane casement to bothy.

Listing NGR: NZ1171499105

Brinkburn Lodge
This is the Grade II Listed Brinkburn Lodge which stands to the side of the Rothbury B6334 road, photographed 6th May 2018.

Listing text courtesy of The British Listed Buildings web site @ https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101303955-brinkburn-lodge-brinkburn#.WvGd7pch1tQ

Entry Name: Brinkburn Lodge
Listing Date: 15 September 1988
Grade: II
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303955
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236735
Location: Brinkburn, Northumberland, NE65
County: Northumberland
Civil Parish: Brinkburn

BRINKBURN B 6334 (South side) No. 1 Brinkburn Lodge
NZ 19 NW
10/67

Lodge, early C19.

Large coursed rubble, rendered and pebbledashed, with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. Gothick style. 2 storeys, 2 bays. Central boarded door with overlight in 4-centred arch, within C20 porch; 12-pane sash windows, with intersecting heads under similar arches, to ground floor; small C20 window at 1st floor right. Coped right gable; ridge and right end stacks with chamfered caps. Two similar arched sashes on left return. Rear elevation shows renewed 12-pane sashes, to ground floor and in gabled half dormer, under square heads. All old openings in raised surrounds.

Adjacent houses are not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NZ1175499062

Brinkburn Priory
Grade I Listed, this is the listing text courtesy of the British Listed Buildings web site @ http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-236739-the-priory-church-brinkburn-#.WF6fJVxWK34

Description: The Priory Church

Grade: I
Date Listed: 21 October 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 236739

OS Grid Reference: NZ1159398324
OS Grid Coordinates: 411593, 598324
Latitude/Longitude: 55.2789, -1.8190

Location: Brinkburn, Northumberland NE65 8AT

Locality: Brinkburn
County: Northumberland
Country: England
Postcode: NE65 8AT

BRINKBURN BRINKBURN PRIORY (formerly listed as Brinkburn Priory Church)
NZ 19 NW
10/70
21.10.53
GV I

Church of Augustinian Priory, c.1190-1220; fell into ruins in C17 but conservatively restored 1858-59 by Thomas Austin of Newcastle for Cadogan Hodgson Cadogan.

Squared stone with cut dressings; roof of small red clay tiles. Cruciform plan; nave with north aisle of 6 narrow bays, low crossing tower, transepts with 2-bay eastern aisles and 2-bay aisleless presbytery; some ruins of the chapter house vestibule or slype adjoin the south transept. Transitional style.

Nave: Main north entrance in 2nd bay from west: round arch of 3 orders with beakheads, chevron, zigzag and billet hood; carved capitals to jamb shafts; large dog-tooth to jambs and to outer angles of gabled projection holding doorway with arcade of 3 trefoiled arches above. Aisle wall has chamfered plinth, pilaster buttresses and broad lancet windows. Tall round headed clerestorey windows. West end: nave north-west turret with shafted angles and pyramidal cap; the south-west turret which had fallen before the restoration, rebuilt to eaves level only. Wall arcade of pointed arches below a similar but taller arcade incorporating 3 tall lancets; jambs shafts missing; 3 stepped lancets in the gable. South nave wall arcade of trefoiled arches between the 2 processional doors under C19 pent tiled canopies: western door has moulded round arch on shafted jambs with dogtooth, all much renewed; eastern door has moulded and ornamented arch with tegulated hood and carved capitals to former jamb shafts. Above is rebate for timbers of cloister walk roof, and 5 tall round-headed windows. South transept: west wall has round-arched moulded doorway with waterleaf capitals to former jamb shafts, and twin rebated book lockers, with 2 tall round-headed windows above; south wall has clasping buttresses, blocked door to right stair and C19 Romanesque wheel window in gable; attached transverse arch and fragments of side walls of formerly-vaulted east-west chamber; east wall has lancets to aisle and round-arched clerestorey. In angle of south transept and presbytery, above aisle roof, is small statue in C16 canopied niche. North transept has similar east elevation; north wall has central projecting stair turret with small loops, flanked by lancets with round-headed windows above; turret is capped by gabled late C19 bellcote with cusped bargeboards. North end of aisle has small C14 trefoiled ogee window. Presbytery has lancets with round-headed windows above in side walls,with strings at sill levels; 3 tiers of lancets, the uppermost stepped, in east end, divided by buttresses which pass from square to semi-octagonal to keeled section as they rise; C19 finial cross. All parts of the church have a C19 eaves,cornice on moulded corbels. The central tower rises little above the roof ridges, and has a plain parapet.

Interior: Nave arcade of double-chamfered pointed arches with chamfered hoods, on octagonal piers with moulded caps; tympanum openings, above piers, of twin moulded round arches. Chamfered string between arcade and tympanum, moulded string between tympanum and clerestorey. Aisle has moulded springers for vault, never completed. Crossing has tall moulded pointed arches on shafted jambs. Transepts show similar detail to nave; aisles, each formerly a pair of chapels, have quadripartite vaults with chamfered ribs; piscina in southernmost chapel. Presbytery has string courses at sill levels and double-arched recess with piscina on south; blocked shoulder-arched door to former sacristy on north. C19 arch-braced collarbeam roofs.

The only medieval monuments are a fine cross slab with an inscription to Prior William, a suffragan Bishop of Durham, d.1484, and a few plain slabs; several C17 and C18 ledger stones. Pink marble slab to Cadogan Hodgson Cadogan d.1888, the restorer, in centre of presbytery. C19 tiled floors throughout. Stained glass: grisaille window, south of presbytery, by Austin incorporating fragments of original glass; other windows by Wailes and (east end) Clayton and Bell. Romanesque carved stone altar of 1898; late C19 choir stalls; panelled wood pulpit on stone base, dated 1874. 1868 organ by William Hill. Plain medieval font in presbytery.

A.B.E. Clark 'Brinkburn Priory' (D.0.E. guide) l982.

Broad Chare
Chare is a Geordie word meaning a narrow lane. Along the Quayside of Newcastle Upon Tyne there are a number of Chares and were often the dividing line between properties. Many of the Chares were destroyed in the Great fire of 1854. Whilst most Chares were very narrow, Broad Chare was the widest and was said to have been wide enough to allow two carts to pass. Broad Chare runs from the Quayside up to the Northern end of the Tyne Bridge. Another area steeped in history..
Brown Ale - Shearer Special
Special edition bottles of the famous Newcastle Brown Ale featuring soccer legend Alan Shearer have gone on sale across the country. The Newcastle United star, who recently broke the club's goal-scoring record, retires at the end of this season. To honour his achievements, Scottish and Newcastle have created a limited edition of about 2.5 million bottles featuring his face on the front. The bottles are on sale in pubs and clubs from Monday. The label's traditional red and yellow colours has been replaced with the Toon Army's black and white stripes. 'Devoted following' On the back of the bottle, a tribute is made to Shearer's scoring feats. It is the first time in the brew's 79-year history that a celebrity has featured on its packaging. The brewery has made a donation to Shearer's testimonial charity fund for the right to create the special labels, which it believes will become collector's items.
Brunswick
Some photographs of The Big Waters pub - formerly The Ca Canny - especially for Dan Ellis from Brisbane Australia
Brunswick Methodist Church
A Grade II Listed building, this is the protection text courtesy of the British Listed Buildings web site @ http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co...hodist-chapel-

Description: Brunswick Methodist Chapel

Grade: II
Date Listed: 30 March 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 304440

OS Grid Reference: NZ2482764497
OS Grid Coordinates: 424827, 564497
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9745, -1.6137

Location: Eldon Lane, Newcastle Upon Tyne NE1 7AT

Locality: Newcastle upon Tyne
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Country: England
Postcode: NE1 7AT

NZ 2464 NE and NE 2464 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE BRUNSWICK PLACE (west end)

16/135 and 20/135 Brunswick Methodist Chapel.

G.V. II

Methodist chapel. Dated 1820 in pediment.

Brick with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. 2-storey, 5-bay pedimented east front, the right bay obscured by buildings.

Steps up to Tuscan porch with prominent cornice which contains steps up to central 6-panelled double door, with radiating glazing bars to fanlight. Round-headed windows, most with stone sills, in arched recesses have sill band to upper windows.

Eaves level band; 3 rectangular stone surrounds to ventilators, the central blind, in projecting bays under pediment; pediment continuous with cornice partly over side bays with ramped coping to meet it. Plainer door and windows in 6-bay left return to Northumberland Court, the last 3 bays pedimented.

Interior: ground floor extensively altered c.1983 and first floor inserted; upper part; now chapel, has panelled gallery and pews; plaster walls and delicate stucco ceiling decoration; Corinthian pilasters frame west apse containing wide panelled pulpit.

Listing NGR: NZ2482764497

According to Pevsner the architect may have been a W. Sherwood.
Brydee Alice Mary Ellwood
Photographs of our first grandchild, born in the RVI on 17th July 2009 at 05.50. Born at the weight of 6 lbs and 12 oz. Parents are my son Scott and his partner Emily.
Burradon and Camperdown
Two former Pit Villages
Burradon Tower
According to the Sitelines web site @ http://museums.ncl.ac.uk/archive/index.html "The tower measures 25 feet 3 inches x 22 feet 6 inches, and is 3 storeys high. It has a vaulted ground floor and a newel stair in the south-east angle gives access to the upper floors. There is a secondary fireplace (with the initials of Lancelot Ogle, and date 1633 on the lintel) in the east wall ot the second storey. By the 19th century, after it had become part of the adjoining farm, there had been further alterations. By the early 20th century it was ruinous and neglected - parts of the east and west walls have fallen out. There is no secure evidence for the date of the tower, one of the most southerly of its type"
By The River Brew Co, Hillgate Quay, Gateshead
Temporary development of bars, restaurants and retail under the Tyne Bridge.
Byker
Various photographs of Byker - part of Newcastle's East End..
Byker & Heaton Cemetery
The Byker and Heaton Cemetery is located in the High Heaton area of Newcastle Upon Tyne, on Benton Road and Etherstone Avenue. It was opened in 1890 and is owned by Newcastle City Council
Bywell Volume 1
A wonderful hamlet standing next to the River Tyne, close to Corbridge.Bywell features twin churches adjacent to each other as well as a Castle. The existence of two churches within yards of each other is a result of Bywell originally having two Manors, seperated by a road. The churches therefore covered two distinct parochial area's Well worth a visit to see Bywell - If anyone is looking for accomodation in Bywell, why not take a look at The Old Vicarage (Premier Bed and Breakfast) - aim your browser at their web site: http://www.oldvicaragebywell.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm
Bywell Volume 2
Tyne, close to Corbridge.Bywell features twin churches adjacent to each other as well as a Castle. The existence of two churches within yards of each other is a result of Bywell originally having two Manors, seperated by a road. The churches therefore covered two distinct parochial area's Well worth a visit to see Bywell - If anyone is looking for accomodation in Bywell, why not take a look at The Old Vicarage (Premier Bed and Breakfast) - aim your browser at their web site: http://www.oldvicaragebywell.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm
Cambo Village
The 1740 model estate village of the nearby Wallington Hall, a real hidden gem! The Holy Trinity Church dates from the 1842 and features the family graves of the Trevelyan Family from Wallington Hall. The Village is now under the guardianship of the National Trust, having been given to the Trust by Sir Charles Trevelyan in 1941.
Cambois
Situated in south east Northumberland.
Cardinal Basil Hume Statue
A memorial opened by HM the Queen during her Golden Jubilee Visit to Newcastle Upon Tyne, 7th May 2002. For further information on the memorial I can recommend the following site http://www.stmaryscathedral.org.uk/memorial.html
Caribbean Cruise 2005
This set of photographs was taken during our cruise of the Caribbean onboard the Ocean Village between 22nd November and 6th December 2005. Click on the sub groups to see the photographs for each of the islands visited.
Carliol Square
Castle Garth
Various photographs around the area of Castle Square, including the famous Newcastle Keep and Black Gate. The Keep is open to the general public (small charge) and is well worth a visit.. Newcastle Upon Tyne..
Centenary Soldier
A golden statue of a First World War soldier has been installed outside the Theatre Royal in Newcastle ahead of Remembrance Sunday .

The ‘Centenary Soldier’ sculpture stands an impressive 10 metres tall on a plinth of limestone sourced from the Somme, and is encased in a perspex obelisk. The ‘Centenary Soldier’ is finished in bombshell brass - inspired by the artist’s own grandfather who inherited a brass bombshell decorated by his great-grandfather from his time in the trenches at the Somme in 1916.

Award-winning artist Mark Humphrey was commissioned to produce the sculpture by the Royal British Legion to celebrate the Every One Remembered campaign, The campaign has been dubbed the greatest ever act of Remembrance for the anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War , and the statue has previously taken pride of place in London’s Trafalgar Square and Cardiff city centre.

A Royal British Legion spokesman said: “The installation will provide a unique tribute in the first year of the Centenary during Remembrance time a fitting tribute to the thousands of lives lost by servicemen and women from the commonwealth during the First World War. It will be a discussion point for the local Newcastle population and visitors to reflect and think about the consequences and impact of the First World War 100 years on. It will provide a focal point for remembrance in the lead up to the Silence in the Square event on November 11.”

Source - Chronicle Live @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/newcastle-theatre-royal-soldier-statue-13815662
Central Arcade
Central Exchange Buildings and Central Arcade, designed by Walker and Wardle for the famous Newcastle Upon Tyne builder, Richard Grainger. The building was completed in 1837. The current Central Arcade was develpoed in 1906 to a design by J Oswald & Sons. This building is part of Grainger Town.
Central Library and Princess Square
Photographs taken in November 2005 to record the library before it's planned demolition in 2006.
Central Motorway
Love it or hate it, this is Newcastle's Central Motorway which cuts straight through the Eastern side of the City.
Central Park Art - Newbiggin By The Sea
Central Park contains a number of sculptures by Graeme Mitcheson
Central Station
Centre For Life
Life Interactive World is a part of the Lottery funded Centre for Life. Centre for Life has been built on the former Marlborough Bus Station in Newcastle Upon Tyne.. Further details can be found at: www.lifeinteractiveworld.co.uk
Chain Bridge Honey Farm Vintage Museum - Horncliffe
Well worth a visit if you are in the North of Northumberland is the Chain Bridge Honey Farm at Horncliffe. Not only is a working honey farm but also a museum. Had a wander round on 29th April 2018 and some of the artifacts which caught my eye:
Charlotte Square
Charlotte Square was built on part of a former Friary Precinct - part of Blackfriars. The Square was built in 1770 and the houses are based upon the style of 18th Century London homes. William Newton was the architect and he also designed the Assembly Rooms lower down in Fenkle Street. Three sided, the square has a centralised garden to the front with a modern day sculpture. In nearby Cross Street is the famous Kard Bar Newcastle Upon Tyne
Chesters Fort
Chillingham, St Peter's Church
This is the Grade I Listed 12th century St Peter’s Church which is located close to Chillingham Castle, Northumberland.

This is the protection text courtesy of the British Listed Buildings web site @ http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-237515-church-of-st-peter-chillingham-#.V0_-Er6um34

Description: Church of St Peter

Grade: I
Date Listed: 21 September 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 237515

OS Grid Reference: NU0621325959
OS Grid Coordinates: 406213, 625959
Latitude/Longitude: 55.5273, -1.9031

Location: Chillingham, Northumberland NE66 5NJ

Locality: Chillingham
County: Northumberland
Country: England
Postcode: NE66 5NJ

NU 0625 CHILLINGEAM CHILLINGHAM

17/49 Church of St. Peter
21/9/51
GV 1

Parish church. C12 and C13 with C16 alterations.

C19 south porch. East end altered 1960's. Nave, chancel, large south chapel, small north chapel and south porch. Nave masonry C12. West end has buttresses left and right and C19 windows with wood tracery in Decorated style. Pedimented bellcote of 1753 above. Nave north wall has blocked Cl3 doorway and one C16, 2-light window with depressed heads to lights. 2 similar windows to nave south wall. C12 south door in porch has one order of colonettes, block capitals and arch with roll-moulding. Plain parapet obscures low-pitched nave roof. South chapel has blocked lancet windows on return walls, tiny blocked C12 window and a re-set C12 door with round head and continuous roll-moulding on west wall. 2-light C14 windows with cusped Y- tracery to south and east. Chancel, probably C13, has one small lancet on south wall. East gable rebuilt C19. East window 1960's.

Interior: low-pitched C16 nave roof with tie beams on large corbels and King posts. Early C19 box pews. Rustic monument to Robert Charnocke 1691, on north wall. 5 steps up to chancel with crypt beneath. Early C19 chancel and chapel arches, keyed for plaster, with double chamfers dying into imposts. Arch-braced C19 chancel and south chapel roofs on mid C20 corbels. South chapel contains large altar tomb of Sir Ralph Grey and wife. 1443. Sandstone. Canopied, enriched arcades hold 14 figures of saints; angels with shields between. Bubble-leaf ornament to plinth and cornice. In centre of each side 2 larger angels support heraldic shields. Alabaster recumbent effigies of very high quality. Reredos behind with angel holding shield between demi-angels with helmets. Above a C17 addition with strapwork and a Royalist motto:-
De bon vouloir servir le Roy

Also in south chapel, C18 fireplace with Gothick detail. Small octagonal font dated 1670. Jacobean pulpit.

Listing NGR: NU0621125960

The tomb of Sir Ralph Grey and his wife was restored between 1995 and 1997 as it was found tio be suffering from damp. A report on the church and the tomb and burial vault was written by David Heslop and Barbara Harbottle – Chillingham Church, Northumberland; the South Chapel and the Grey Tomb and appears in Archaeological Aeliana Fifth Series Volume XXVII.

This set of photographs were taken 10th May 2013.
Chimney Mill and Mill House, Claremont Road
The Grade II Listed Chimney Mill and Mill House, Claremont Road dates from 1782 and was designed by Civil Engineer John Smeaton.

A five sailed mill, claimed to be the first with five sails, it was decommissioned in 1892 and its cap and wind shaft removed in 1951.

It later became the club house of Newcastle City Golf Club and is now residential.

These photographs taken 24th October 2018.

China Town - Stowell Street
China Town Situated in Stowell Street, this is Newcastle's centre of Chinese culture.Some great restaurants and supermarkets can be found here
Chirton Grange - Former The Brig Public House
09/01542/FUL | Erection of 10no 4 bedroom dwellings comprising of three adjoining two and a half storey pitched roofed blocks (Amended Description) | Land At Former Brig Public House Whitehouse Lane North Shields Tyne And Wear
Chollerford Bridge
This is the Grade II Listed Chollerford Bridge which carries the A6079 road, photographed 26th June 2014.

This is the Grade II listing text courtesy of The British Listed Buildings web site @ http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co...h#.WarKotGQxtQ

Entry Name: Chollerford Bridge over River North Tyne
Listing Date: 15 April 1969
Grade: II
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370563
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239987
Location: Humshaugh, Northumberland, NE46
County: Northumberland
Civil Parish: Humshaugh

HUMSHAUGH CHOLLERFORD Chollerford Bridge, over River North Tyne
NY 9170
15/228
15.4.69

Bridge,1785 by Robert Mylne.

Squared stone. 5 stepped round arches with triangular cutwaters, their upper parts set back and carried up as refuges. Band below parapet, which has gabled coping, ramped down at north-west end, and terminates in low rectangular piers with pyramidal caps.

Erected after its predecessor was destroyed in the flood of 1771.

Listing NGR: NY9195970533

From my notes:

Chollerford is a hamlet at the crossing of the North Tyne of the Roman Road (B6318) and consists of The George Hotel, Chollerford Bridge, a car service garage and a few houses. In Old English the meaning of Chollerford is either ‘Ceola’s ford’ or ‘ford in a gorge’. It is however more notable for its close by Roman Fort of Chesters.

The five arched stone built bridge dates from 1785 and is to a design by Robert Mylne (1733-1811), it is Grade II Listed. Spanning 90 metres the 1785 bridge replaced an earlier stone built bridge which was swept away by the Great Flood in 1771. The destroyed medieval bridge was probably built prior to 1394 when Walter Skirlaw, Bishop of Durham granted “thirteen days’ release from enjoined penance” anyone who assisted with its restoration. The bridge is the most southerly crossing on the North Tyne.

A weir and fish pass are located just to the south of the bridge where salmon can be seen leaping in the spawning season.

The George Hotel sits beside the road bridge and whilst much extended was originally built as an Inn in the 18th century. As with many buildings in the era it is often suggested that the stones came from the nearby Hadrian’s Wall.

Chollerton War Memorial
I cannot imagine that there are many places that you can stand and view three Grade Listed Buildings within 100 feet of you, but that is what I found at Chollerton. Grade I Listed Church of St Giles, Grade II Listed Stable and Hearse House and the Grade II Listed War Memorial.

This is the protection listing for the memorial courtesy of the British Listed Buildings web site @ http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-494700-war-memorial-opposite-the-church-of-st-g

Description: War Memorial Opposite the Church of St Giles

Grade: II
Date Listed: 8 February 2006
English Heritage Building ID: 494700

OS Grid Reference: NY9310271869
OS Grid Coordinates: 393102, 571869
Latitude/Longitude: 55.0413, -2.1095

Location: A6079, Chollerton, Northumberland NE46 4TH

Locality: Chollerton
County: Northumberland
Country: England
Postcode: NE46 4TH

CHOLLERTON

460/0/10001 War Memorial opposite the Church of St 08-FEB-06 Giles

II

War Memorial, 1921. Sandstone. Cross with ornamental head and tapering shaft. Rectangular plinth with carved stone panels on front and sides standing proud.

ON FRONT reads CHOLLERTON PARISH/IN REVERENT AND GRATEFUL/ MEMORY OF OUR MEN/WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/1914-19/YE LIVE ON MID ENGLANDS PASTURES GREEN/REMEMBER US AND THINK WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN AND 1939-1945 (NAMES) INSCRIPTIONS ON SIDES contain the names of the fallen of the First World War.

Square 3-stepped stone base.

Inscription ON FRONT reads TO THE/GLORY OF GOD/AND IN MEMORY OF/THOSE WHO FELL/IN THE GREAT WAR/1914-1918/GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS
Sources: North East war memorials Project ref 33829

This simple First World War memorial in the form of a cross is an attractive memorial to the fallen of two World Wars. It was unveiled in 1921.

What I found interesting was the inclusion of a Police Constable, Robert Telford. Telford was fatally injured when he was caught in an explosion caused by a German Air Ship bomb,15 June 1915, he was aged 22.

This from the Hexham Courant @ http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/2.2961/features/hundreds-of-north-tyne-lads-never-came-back-from-war-1.896866

Men died on the Home Front too, notably Police Constable Robert Telford, of Chollerford. He wasn’t happy as a bobby, and had put in his notice so he could enlist in the Northumberland Fusiliers.

On the night of June 1915, Zeppelin L10 crossed the English coast north of Blyth and headed south towards Wallsend, and the airship dropped 12 bombs which killed 17 men and injured another 75 at Palmer’s Works in Jarrow.

Whilst Telford was from Chollerford I assume that given Telford is also remembered on the War Memorial in St. Peter's Church, Wallsend that he must have been killed whilst on duty on Tyneside. (Source North East War Memorial Project @ http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=9310 )

Details of the memorial to those killed at Palmer's Yard can be seen on the NEWMP site @ http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=7786

These images of the memorial at Chollerton taken 10th July 2014
Church of our Lady
A Saxon Chapel thought to date fron the early 12th Century. Located next to Seaton Delaval Hall to which it acted as the Manorial Chapel. Open to the public in Summer months.
Church of St Andrew, Grey Mare Hill, Shotley, Northumberland
This is the redundant church of St Andrew's on Grey Mare Hill, Shotley, Northumberland, photographed 3rd December 2017.

Grade II Listed, the listing text courtesy of The British Listed Buildings web site @ https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101156312-church-of-st-andrew-shotley-low-quarter#.WjucVDfLhtQ

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 15 April 1969
Grade: II
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156312
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240628
Location: Shotley Low Quarter, Northumberland, DH8
County: Northumberland
Civil Parish: Shotley Low Quarter

SHOTLEY LOW QUARTER GREYMARE HILL Church of St. Andrew.
NZ 05 NW NZ 046552
10/257
15.4.69

Parish Church, now redundant. Rebuilt 1769 (date on crossing arch) on medieval hilltop site; restored and altered 1892 (dated slab on east wall).

Coursed rubble with cut quoins and dressings; slate roof. Equal-armed cruciform plan with gabled entrance porch on south transept gable. C19 studded double doors in pointed arch; single round- arched lights in gable above porch roof and in side walls of nave and both transepts; north transept has projecting end stack and studded door in chamfered surround on right.

Nave west end has pointed window under plain arched bellcote with pedimented top. Chancel has paired lancets in side walls and C19 east windows in C13 style: 2 lights below a quatrefoil. Dated slab with cross, flanked by heads of early medieval slabs with expanded-arm crosses, below. All gables coped with swept kneelers and various finials.

Several C18 headstones affixed to exterior walls, including one west of porch to William Dixon of Shotley field, 1767; pedimented top, scrolly surround, foliage decoration.

Interior: chamfered segmental diagonal arches over crossing, dated at intersection. C19 moulded credence table and piscina corbelled out from chancel window sills. Mural tablets on east side of south transept (Rev. Thomas Simpson, 1754 with Latin inscription in scrolly frame) and at west end (Christopher Hunter, 1757,'a learned and judicious Antiquary and Physician'). Fittings late C19, including panelled vestry screen across north transept; small chamfered C18 vestry fireplace. Stone benches in porch.

Listing NGR: NZ0453055198

Cinderella Pantomine 2016 - Theatre Royal
By chance happened upon a photo shoot of the cast of Cinderella outside of the Theatre Royal yesterday afternoon, 29th November 2016.

Main stars are Danny Adams, Clive Webb and Chris Hayward.
City Road
Civic Centre
A selection of photographs taken during a tour of Newcastle Civic Centre on 15th August 2011, led by Ian McVicar who certainly knows his stuff.

The Civic Centre was designed by the City Architect, George Kenyon and it was was no holds barred when it came to the very high class materials used in the construction, nothing but the best.

Construction commenced in May 1960 and was completed in 1968 when on 14th November 1968 it was officially opened by His Majesty King Olav V of Norway.
Claremont House
The Grade II Listed Claremont House, built as a villa for the Bainbridge (Department Store) family between 1871 and 1872. The family resided there until 1892 when it was sold.

It was brought back into Bainbridge ownership when John (Jack) Benson Bainbridge purchased the property in 1922. The greenhouse on the southern elevation of the house was built by Jack who grew orchids.

The large garage of the house once housed Jack's blue and silver Rolls Royce and perhaps this explains its size.

Claremont Place
Originally there were 26 properties on Claremont Place, all high class residential homes but only 10 are now left. Demolition of the 16 took place from the 1960's and the plots now host Newcastle University buildings (Ridley Building).