|Albums > Heritage Open Days 2011 > Christ Church|
|This Grade II Listed Building is the replacement for the Parish Church of St Mary that used to stand in Tynemouth Castle. The current Church was built by Robert Trollope and consecrated in 1668.|
h Church has been added to over the years with the Tower being added in 1788 and fully restored by John Dodd in 1793.
The Tower contains 10 bells, six dating from 1787.
Intersecting to see that one of the stained glass windows was damaged during Second World War and consequently replaced with a plain glass window.
There is a marvellous stained glass commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Tynemouth Lifeboat Station which was designed by Dr L C Evetts in 1962.
The model ships in the Mariners Chapel date from 1820 and the nautical connection is continued with the organ being housed in a mahogany case including panels from the 1884 Corvette HMS Calliope.
The Parish Stocks, last used in 1832 are also on display in the Church.
This is a description from the Grade Listing, courtesy of The British Listed Building web site @ [url]http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-303358-christ-church-tynemouth[/url]
Description: Christ Church
Date Listed: 24 October 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 303358
OS Grid Reference: NZ3539368683
OS Grid Coordinates: 435393, 568683
Latitude/Longitude: 55.0115, -1.4481
Location: A192, North Tyneside NE29 0LW
Local Authority: North Tyneside
County: Tyne And Wear
Postcode: NE29 0LW
TYNEMOUTH PRESTON ROAD (east side)
NZ 3568 NW
24.10.50 Christ Church
Parish church, 1654-68, finished by Robert Trollop, 1786-88; tower added by John Dodds; 1792-93 extensive rebuilding by John Dodds; 1869 chancel and organ- chamber.
Sandstone ashlar with plinth and rusticated quoins; Welsh slate roof.
West tower; aisled nave with north vestry; apsed chancel with half octagonal north organ chamber, now vestry. Tower has west double door under ornamental fanlight, flanked by large blind roundels and with large roundel above; 2 upper stages have keystoned surrounds to round-headed window, clock, and belfry openings under cornice and battlemented parapet.
Full-height aisles to 3-bay nave have quoined, slightly projecting central bay containing double door with ornamental fanlight under roundel; side bays have tall round-headed windows under smaller similar gallery windows. Similar windows in returns of aisle, in one-bay chancel and stepped in apse.
Nave has north vestry in domestic style adjacent to central bay of aisle. Hipped roofs to nave, aisles and vestries, except at west nave; roundel to chancel; weather-cock tower finial. Rainwater head dated 1832 in angle of chancel and south aisle may be resited from former smaller chancel.
Interior: plaster walls; flat ceiling with egg-and-dart and Greek key stucco decoration to nave, symbols of Trinity above altar. Elliptical-arched nave arcades on slender columns; cast iron columns to inserted west organ loft.
2 stone grave covers set in floor of east end of nave: Stephen Dockwray, vicar, died 1681 (this partly missing) and members of the Howlett family, died 1683 and 1694. Historical note: built to replace the decayed parish church in Tynemouth Priory.
Sources: H.E. Craster History of Northumberland vol. VIII 1907, pp 357-369; P.G. Canner and M. Scott 1608-1968 Christ Church North Shields.
Listing NGR: NZ3539368683