|Albums > Westgate Road > Old Assembly Rooms|
|The first ASSEMBLY ROOMS in Newcastle between1716 and 1736. |
By WILLIAM NEWTON and built in what was the St Nicholas Church Vicarage garden.
The doorway is a later modification by Austin, Johnson and Hicks in 1882.
Listed II - Listing NGR: NZ2461063986
One house. Now shops and offices. Circa 1750.
Sandstone ashlar; slate roof, graduated over 4 left bays. Ashlar and brick chimneys. 3 storeys and attics; 2:3:2 bays. Central door in Jacobean style doorcase with keyed arch under segmental pediment.
Rusticated pilasters to 3 ground-floor bays at left; alterations at right.
Inserted shops. Giant pilasters above define groups. Architraves and aprons to sashes with glazing bars; floor bands between pilasters. Pilaster capitals at window head level; top entablature with coved frieze. Roof has 2 small segmental-headed dormers, with sashes at centre and left; renewed dormer with barge-boarded gable at right.
Interior shows rococo plaster to front ground-floor room, now shop at No. 57, with phoenix motif on wall. Staircase with strap-work and plain panels, and portrait profiles in oval medallions. Venetian window on half-landing with Doric entablature. Putti and garlands above. Italian signature and date scratched on 1 pane,preserved under glass, 1796. Shallow, panelled dome above. Eagle in medallion under balcony, garlands over doors. 3 connecting rooms, 2-, 5-and 2-bay on 1st floor. All with plaster panels and decorative cornices. Centre room elaborate ceiling with centre- piece of putti with cornucopia on clouds and portrait medallions around. Corner fireplace with decorative panel above. Alcove with bucranium motif and garlands.
Doorway with flat pediment and carved, pulvinated frieze. 1 side room has flower and leaf pattern on ceiling. Wrought iron staircase and balcony railings probably contemporary with plaster work.