|Albums > Heritage Open Days 2011 > Trinity House - HODs September 2011|
|This from the Trinity House web site @ http://trinityhousenewcastle.org.uk/history.asp|
At some stage during the fifteenth century, a group of seafarers formed a charitable guild on the quayside of Newcastle to support the town's growing maritime community and their dependents.
Originally named the “Guild of the Blessed Trinity of Newcastle upon Tyne”, they formally came into being on 4th January 1505, securing some land, previously known as Dalton's Place, in Broad Chare on Newcastle's Quayside, from Ralph Hebborn, in exchange for a “peppercorn rent”, being a red rose, to be paid yearly on demand, on the feast of John the Baptist (now known as Midsummer's day).
Unfortunately photographs inside the Trinity House building itself isn't permitted.