|Albums > Heritage Open Days 2011 > Jesmond Real Tennis Club|
|The tennis court at Jesmond Dene was built in 1894 as a private court for the Noble family of Jesmond Dene House. The correspondent of The Field newspaper who visited to report on the opening ceremonies found the court "far from being unsightly." [October and November issue 1894]. Later writers thought it "as good as any private court in existence in England" [The Field 1912]; "one of the most delightful courts in which to play" [The Field 1928]; and "a beautiful court in every way. The floor and walls are in the right relationship, and the light is certainly good" [The Times October 7th 1928]|
The tennis court project was one of a number of refurbishments to the house and grounds carried out by Sir Andrew Noble (1831-1915). Originally called "Black Dene House," the house had been designed by John Dobson for T.E.Headlam in 1822. Noble purchased the property in 1871. Alterations to the rear (1870-1) then front of the house (1875) were followed by the addition of a billiard room (1885). These were all designed by Norman Shaw. Subsequently Noble used the Newcastle architect F.W. Rich. Rich worked on further alteration to the house, the addition of stables and the Real Tennis Court.
More information on the Club's web site @ http://www.jdrtc.co.uk/page13.htm