|Albums > Ships on the Tyne and Elsewhere > RNLB Mary Ann Hepworth|
|Mary Ann Hepworth is nowadays used to take trips around the harbour - see their web site @ http://www.oldlifeboatwhitby.co.uk/|
"On 11th April 1938 the new Whitby lifeboat went on service, costing £6,576 it was provided by Mr.W.Hepworth of Hull. The naming ceremony took place on June 27th 1938 she was christened "Mary Ann Hepworth" by the Marchioness of Normanby. A 41ft Watson class fitted with two 35hp petrol engines & sails she was not self righting, nevertheless she was state of the art for her time.
In 1974 after serving 36 years, being launched 372 times and saving 201 lives she was replaced by the Waveney class lifeboat " The White Rose of Yorkshire "