THE TRINITY-HOUSE SCHOOL
Eneas Mackenzie in his Historical Account of Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Including the Borough of Gateshead wrote:
THE TRINITY-HOUSE SCHOOL.
The erection of a free school in the Trinity-house was ordered by the master and brethren on May 9, 1712, for the instruction of the children of brethren in Writing, Arithmetic, and Mathematics. The apprentices of brethren are also admitted. The school-house was rebuilt in 1753, as appears by the following inscription on a stone built up in it:—"This School House rebuilt 1753, Francis Pemberton, Esq. master; elder brethren, James Carr, John Welford, Matthias Giles, William Errington, William Harrison, Charles Liddell, Thomas Proctor, Robert Hudson, Francis Heath, George Stephenson, John Cole, Henry Shadforth; Thomas Aubone, secretary."
The following names of schoolmasters occur:—In 1712, Mr. Manell, salary £16; in 1756, Robert Harrison, salary £20; in 1771, John Fryer, salary £20; in 17