The Nikolaikirche (church), with its tall, thin twin spires. Is located in the historic St. Nicholas Quarter. The church is Berlins oldest - built between 1220-1230 - though there has been several modifications to its appearance since then. Today the church is a museum and also a concert hall. The area, which borders the Spree river contained some of the oldest buildings in Berlin before it was turned into wasteland at the end of the second world war. It wasn't until 1979, in the run-up to the 750th anniversary of the city, before reconstruction of the area started. During the 10-year project, replicas of historic buildings were constructed in an attempt to recreate a historic quarter.